On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 17:13 -0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:

> >>not too clear what to do in case of a problem, and what consitutes a
> >>problem.
> >

> > Yeah, guess the message is a bit too terse.
> >

> >>something like this?
> >>
> >>   error << EOI;
> >>Your system is configured to run both ipv6 and ipv4, but can't figure out
> >>which interface to use, trying to use ipv6. If the test suite doesn't
> >>start,
> >>please install the perl CPAN module 'Socket6' and re-run the last command.
> >>EOI
> >

> > How about:
> >
> > "
> > Your system is configured to run both ipv6 and ipv4, but can't figure
> > out if the hostname 'name' is ipv4 only. If the test suite doesn't
> > start, try specifying a servername that you know is only ipv4, or
>
> what action user is supposed to undertake when you say that? it should be
> really clear, or we will end up with a question onto the list.

Well, what I am trying to say is that if the user goes

perl Makefile.PL -servername my.name.com
 or
perl Makefile.PL -servername 127.0.0.1

His/Her problem will also go away.

installing Socket6 will not solve the problem, but just allow me to
detect if a problem is certain to happen.

In any case, at that point, the user will need to specify an ipv4
hostname/address.