Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 15:25 -0500, Geoffrey Young wrote:

Something like this will most likely work for everyone (ipv4/v6) with
the only difference is that the test servers are not listening to
localhost anymore and could be reached from oustide machines (do we
care?)

What happens in the following situation:

One machine, two NICs, two IPs 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2.

If I say 'Listen *:8529' it'll try to listen on both IPs.

What happens if 10.0.0.2:8529 is already taken and 10.0.0.1:8529 is available? Will it fail to start, saying that the port is busy?

I actually find that a nice feature, as it means you can use t/TEST -start
to start up your test config then, say, hit it from a browser on a different
box.  as it is now, you have to hand-edit the generated httpd.conf for that
(or at least I did)

Well, I agree with you, but other people might argue that it is somewhat
of a security risk to start up a server and _not_ listen strictly on
localhost.

But, yes, I do think that Joe's suggestion is the best one and will keep
tests passing until LWP becomes IPv6 aware.

Untill we have a better solution (proper detection mechanism), by all means go with it, Philippe.

Thanks for the idea, Joe!