On Jul 9, 2004, at 2:03 PM, Randy Kobes wrote:

But won't the CPAN indices (which are used by both CPAN.pm
and CPANPLUS.pm) still just recognize one version of
mod_perl.pm? Either the current one associated with mp1, or,
when mp2 is out of development, that associated with mp2
(assuming mod_perl.pm of mp2 has a higher version compared
to that of mp1). Or will CPANPLUS go beyond the CPAN
indices?

That I don't know. I would ask the CPANPLUS developers.

  http://cpanplus.sourceforge.net/

One (qualitatively similar) example is the GD module, for
which there's two major (incompatible) versions, 1 and 2.
Currently CPAN.pm reports GD as being version 2.12, and so
to install an earlier version 1.x, you have to tell CPAN.pm
explicitly which distribution you want to install.

Right, the indexing is still a problem. However, for those who have the proper mp installed already, it should just work. And for those who don't, installation should fail, but they'll be told why.

But I agree that the indexing issue is important. Perhaps there should be a META.yml rule to tell CPAN what to index, so as to keep track of older versions of modules for those that really need to?

I dunno. Something to ask Jarkko about.

Regards,

David