Randy Kobes wrote:
On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Stas Bekman wrote:

Randy Kobes wrote:

[ ... ]

What about requiring 'Apache' for mp1-related modules
(since 'Apache' doesn't exist within mp2), and for mp2
modules, requiring 'Apache2' (which doesn't exist within
mp1)?

It won't work since the version number lives in the package mod_perl. and most likely you'd want to require a minimal version at some point.

That's true - I forgot about that ... One could tie the
version of Apache.pm (for mp1) or Apache2.pm (for mp2) to
the corresponding mod_perl.pm version, and make a note of
that in the RELEASE notes, but I agree, that's not
addressing the underlying issue.

I don't know how M::B does the version checking, but EU::MM does file parsing, searching for the $VERSION line, so the version number must be hardcoded there, unless you do something like:

$VERSION = do { require Apache2; require mod_perl.pm; $mod_perl::VERSION }

since EU::MM is going to run that in eval STRING. I thikn CPAN.pm does the same, not sure about CPANPLUS.