On 15/06/2011, Christian Lohmaier <lohmaier+ooofut...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Friedrich, *,
>
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:45 PM, Friedrich Strohmaier
> <damokles4-lis...@bits-fritz.de> wrote:
>> e-letter schrieb:
>>> On 12/06/2011, Friedrich Strohmaier <damokles4-lis...@bits-fritz.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This does not occur with gmail; all messages are _not_ received as
>>> attachments but as a single message
>>
>> So *GMAIL IS BUGGY*.
>
> No, the description is wrong of course the messages are /received/ as
> attachments, they are received as everybody else does. There are no
> special messages crafted for gmail users, the original source is the
> same for all.
> But gmail /*displays*/ them as a single message. Whether you consider
> this as a bug or feature is up to you :-)

So gmail is breaking the (rfc?) convention? That makes this inline
display behaviour a bug, in my opinion but probably a feature by
others.

>> You want us to serve solving Your problem but don't want to serve us
>> with information needed for that, considering our preferences - thing
>> You claim strongly for Yourself?
>
> I'm a gmail user as well, And I cannot reproduce the problem. So there
> is no point in requesting the original mail anymore. When I reply to a
> digest mail, the whole digest mail is quoted, all is included. Nothing
> is missing as e-letter repots. I have my preferences set to
> plain-text, not rich-text. That is the only default setting that I can
> think of that would affect the reply/text-entry box.

In my general settings, I cannot see an option to choose text formats,
but it seems to be plain text since there are no formatting options in
my web-mail interface. The only setting I have changed is to use utf8
encoding for sent messages.

Interestingly, this message shows the original message content after
activating the reply hyperlink; looking at the header and comparing
with the digest mode message header, maybe the from address being
test... is the cause.

>> [...]
>>
>>> Just done that with this message.
>>
>> confirmed: Thread is kept well.
>
> And this is the only way of not breaking the thread with gmail. That's
> the other reason why it is pointless to try to "fix" something here
> that is not broken on our end.

In other mailing lists the thread is maintained if the subject text is
copied, but may be broken if there is a small change in space
characters.

>>> "To reply to individual messages within a digest-mode message, use the
>>> following syntax of the e-mail recipient address:
>>
>> No good idea, because posting a solution for a problem noone faces
>> generates confusion at best.
>
> Yes, and as written: I cannot see any reason to subscribe to a digest
> version when using gmail. I am subscribed to two digests - one is
> gnome-announce that I've been subscribed to before using gmail, and
> then never bothered to change my subscription, but that doesn't matter
> as this is a list where I only receive stuff, never post myself, and
> the other one is the test-list that I subscribed to in order to check
> this problem-report.
>
> Using gmail for mailinglists were you reply to is anti-social as
> written before, as you don't have a chance of keeping the thread. You
> will always break the thread on reply, messing the lists up for
> everyone, those who read it later in one of the archives, anyone who
> uses a threaded reader (and that also includes gmail, where "threaded"
> is more like "collected by summary).

Isn't relying on threads also weak when threads become long and may
continue beyond the normal 1 month categories of mail archives?