On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Bidski <bid...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am having an issue getting F21 to dual boot with Windows 7 on an EFI
>>> system.
>>>
>>> The first thing I did was to install Windows 7. This worked fine and had
>>> no issues.
>>>
>>> Then I installed F21 from a LiveUSB. After some hickups, which have now
>>> been resolved, F21 works fine.
>>>
>>> The problem I have now is that grub can not find my Windows 7
>>> installation. I noticed that there were no boot files for Microsoft in
>>> /boot/efi/EFI.
>>>

>>You're saying after installing Fedora 21 after Windows 7, that there was no
>>Microsoft directory in /boot/efi/EFI? Just a fedora directory?
>
> This is correct, there may have also been a /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT folder as
> well (not sure what this is or where it came from).

ESP//EFI/BOOT/ is put there by the Fedora installer as a backup in
case of NVRAM confusion.

ESP//EFI/microsoft should be there after installing Windows, if it's
not there, then it's not a UEFI installation of Windows, it's CSM-BIOS
instead. If it's there after installing Windows and not there after
installing Fedora, that's a new, major, blocking bug. So if you can
reproduce that and file a bug it would be great. I haven't ever seen
this behavior in dozens of installs.

> So it
> seems that the issue is trying to do all of this from the LiveUSB?

No idea. Several people have done this on UEFI systems and gotten
successful installs, including 2 recently in bug 986731.

I'm not sure what to recommend other than something that's a big of a
PITA, which would be to file a new bug. Document each step you're
going through to install Windows 7, and Fedora. And attach the
following files from the live environment:

/mnt/sysimage/boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg
/tmp/program.log
/tmp/storage.log

The output from:
# chroot /mnt/sysimage
# bash -x grub2-mkconfig
# os-prober

The above is probably easiest done in a clean/reset Terminal window in
the live environment, select all, copy, paste into a gedit document
and save it, then include that as an attachment also.

Also, if you can include the before Fedora 21 installation, and
post-install output from the following command:

# parted /dev/sda u s p

That'd also be helpful, I'm assuming the drive in question is sda so
replace that if needed. This will show the partition layout after
Windows is freshly installed vs what anaconda does to it post Fedora.
And makes it easier than trying to dig this out of the storage.log.
And while you're at it make an explicit note that you checked the EFI
System partition before and after installing Fedora 21, and whether
/EFI/microsoft is present or not. Normally the ESP is partition 2 on
Windows, if I recall correctly from a recent Windows 8.1 UEFI install.
I would do this again myself but I've lost access to the test EFI
computer capable of EFI booting Windows 8.

>And maybe
> there is something happening with the installer deleting the Windows boot
> files in the EFI partition?

More likely is there's a 2nd EFI System partition being created under
certain circumstances and one ESP has /EFI/microsoft and the other
doesn't. Anaconda is not supposed to be creating two ESPs, but the
UEFI spec doesn't prohibit it either.