Microsoft in

 >>>You're saying after installing Fedora 21 after Windows 7, that
there was no
 >>>Microsoft directory in /boot/efi/EFI? Just a fedora directory?
 >>
 >> This is correct, there may have also been a /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT
folder as
 >> well (not sure what this is or where it came from).

> ESP//EFI/BOOT/ is put there by the Fedora installer as a backup in
 >case of NVRAM confusion.

 >ESP//EFI/microsoft should be there after installing Windows, if it's
 >not there, then it's not a UEFI installation of Windows, it's
CSM-BIOS
 >instead. If it's there after installing Windows and not there after
 >installing Fedora, that's a new, major, blocking bug. So if you can
 >reproduce that and file a bug it would be great. I haven't ever seen
 >this behavior in dozens of installs.

 >> So it seems that the issue is trying to do all of this from the
LiveUSB?

> No idea. Several people have done this on UEFI systems and gotten
 >successful installs, including 2 recently in bug 986731.

 >I'm not sure what to recommend other than something that's a big of
 >PITA, which would be to file a new bug. Document each step you're
 >going through to install Windows 7, and Fedora. And attach the
 >following files from the live environment:

 >/mnt/sysimage/boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg
 >/tmp/program.log
 >/tmp/storage.log

 >The output from:
 ># chroot /mnt/sysimage
 ># bash -x grub2-mkconfig
 ># os-prober

 >The above is probably easiest done in a clean/reset Terminal window
in
 >the live environment, select all, copy, paste into a gedit document
 >and save it, then include that as an attachment also.

 >Also, if you can include the before Fedora 21 installation, and
 >post-install output from the following command:

 ># parted /dev/sda u s p

 >That'd also be helpful, I'm assuming the drive in question is sda so
 >replace that if needed. This will show the partition layout after
 >Windows is freshly installed vs what anaconda does to it post
Fedora.
 >And makes it easier than trying to dig this out of the storage.log.
 >And while you're at it make an explicit note that you checked the
EFI
 >System partition before and after installing Fedora 21, and whether
 >/EFI/microsoft is present or not. Normally the ESP is partition 2 on
 >Windows, if I recall correctly from a recent Windows 8.1 UEFI
install.
 >I would do this again myself but I've lost access to the test EFI
 >computer capable of EFI booting Windows 8.

As much as I would love to see if the problems I am having are
reproducible, I just got my system working and am kind of hesitant to
rip it all apart again.
Hopefully I just encountered a one-off set of circumstances and no one
else will ever see these same issues again.

Thank you for your help though.

Bidski

 >And maybe
 > there is something happening with the installer deleting the
Windows boot
 > files in the EFI partition?

 More likely is there's a 2nd EFI System partition being created under
 certain circumstances and one ESP has /EFI/microsoft and the other
 doesn't. Anaconda is not supposed to be creating two ESPs, but the
 UEFI spec doesn't prohibit it either.