On 9/21/18 3:40 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 9/21/18 12:35 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 9/21/18 11:56 AM, pmkel...@frontier.com wrote:
BTW does doing network install mean I have to have a server setup to serve the installs? I only ask because right now my knowledge of servers (now to set them up and maintain them) is zero and there doesn't seem to be any automatic tools to help. I got a copy of Fedora 28 server. I tried to set it up to serve some data files and failed. After a couple tries I just implemented file sharing and kept the commonly used stuff in one of the PCs Public directory.

Yes, it requires a dhcp server, tftp server, and web server.  If you eventually get around to trying to set it up, I would be happy to help.

There's also https://boot.fedoraproject.org/ but I can't get it to work.

Oh, in this long email thread, I've lost track of people.  I thought you were the person I was discussing PXE with earlier.  As Adam mentioned, for a basic network install, you can use USB.  But in general, however you are currently installing with a DVD, you can do the same with a USB stick.  Just write the iso image to it.

For this list, this has really been an involved thread.

I was the one you were talkiong to about PXE earlier.  Not pmkelly.

That said, If you put the Netinstall iso image on a bootable media (bootable for your system), and have decent net access speed, you let Netinstall do its thing to get everything NOT on the iso image from the repos.  Nothing to maintain locally.  Just potentially a lot of downloads if you do a lot of build testing.

Minimally, you can build a local apache server and rsync the current repos to that.  Then point the Netinstall there.

Of course you need IP access in both cases which means DHCP etc.

About time to sign off for the weekend and Sunday night starts Succos, so not much from me until Wednesday.

Have a good time all.