On 9/22/18 4:48 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Sat, 2018-09-22 at 11:06 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 11:30 AM Adam Williamson
<adamw...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

Yes, frankly. Not a lot of testers even keep a DVD-RW drive and media
around any more. It takes like a half hour just to write all the media
for testing, then another few hours to run complete installs from them
all (since optical media are *slow*).

If it's not burdensome, why does no-one except the paid RH folks ever
seem to run the test? And usually at the last minute, at that?

I've had to buy three DVD-RW drives *solely for the purpose of being
able to test this* (they keep dying, the things aren't terribly
reliable). And I keep a spindle of media around, again, solely for the
purpose of testing this, I don't use them for anything else. (In fact
I've nearly run out, so if we keep this criteria, I'm gonna have to go
out and blow some money on some more media I won't ever use for
anything but testing this).
This kind of disproportionate shift of a criterion's burden is
inappropriate. It also sticks in my craw when bugs like this are
discovered late.

In theory if you test the released beta, and a nightly early on in
freeze, there shouldn't be a regression in the final release that'd
cause only optical boot failures.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice...:P
I think I was the one,  or at least one of the ones that got burned by the F21 OM bug.  That was a pain to get F21 installed.  That was on this notebook, and I still get this weird message on boot up.  It does not seem to affect anything and better let sleeping dogs lie. Also I think that was the last install I did from the full DVD; I only had 768Kb DSL connectivity at the time.  I switched to Netinstall when I switched to Comcast and got 5Gb business (they have since 'upgraded' me to 25Gb at no cost).

That said, first week of October, I will get a 'new' notebook, and test out the netinstall iso on a CD.