On 10/13/18 10:39 AM, Garry T. Williams wrote:
I recently did this on an up-to-date F28 system:

     $ sudo dnf system-upgrade download --refresh \
        --releasever=29 --allowerasing --best
     $ sudo dnf system-upgrade reboot

Now system will not boot.

Some more details on what the problem is would help.

None of this was obvious to me at first.  I got here only after a lot
of searching the Web for answers.  It seems that grub2-install won't
work on my setup, even after disabling secure boot on this machine.

grub2-install is only for non-EFI systems and shouldn't be used otherwise. Nothing to do with secure boot.

What am I doing wrong here that I cannot boot after a system-upgrade?

"Doesn't boot" is no information.  What exactly is happening?