On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 1:30 PM, Garry T. Williams <gtwilli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, October 13, 2018 3:12:44 PM EDT Samuel Sieb wrote:
>> On 10/13/18 10:39 AM, Garry T. Williams wrote:
>> > What am I doing wrong here that I cannot boot after a system-upgrade?
>>
>> "Doesn't boot" is no information.  What exactly is happening?
>
> Sorry, the boot record is gone.

You determined this how?

>I happen to have another system on
> the same machine and that system boots instead of the Fedora system
> before my recovery actions.  When I forced a boot from the fedora
> system using the machine's boot selection screen, it fails.  (No
> diagnostic information in the BIOS setup screen -- just won't boot.  I
> was forced to specify the USB Live system to start a recovery.)

Screen shots or cell photo of the failure might be useful because
failure/won't boot doesn't tell us what is happening. And what is
happening is a hint as to what the source of the problem is, how to
prevent it, and how to fix it. But "won't boot" is not much to go on.

Is this BIOS or UEFI? From any other Linux, what do you get for
'parted -l u s p'  or "fdisk -l" ? And what do you get for 'efibootmgr
-v' ?

> The system-upgrade somehow wiped out my boot record on /dev/sdb.

"boot record" is a BIOS term, so this could mean the code on LBA 0 or
in the MBR gap or BIOS Boot partition has been stepped on; but dnf
system upgrade doesn't have such an ability. In fact it's a bit of a
security and bug endurance problem that 'grub2-install' isn't run on
BIOS upgrades. Whereas on UEFI the bootloader binaries on the EFI
System partition are replaced during updates, so what you're
describing might be a GRUB bug.

But the details you're giving only lead to speculation so you need to
provide specifics, just won't boot is identical to what happens to a
computer without a drive at all.

--
Chris Murphy