On 2020-08-26 02:27, Chris Murphy wrote:
> It's getting clobbered by earlyoom. It really doesn't have enough
> memory if it's swapping out 892M. If that were on disk, it'd be kindof
> a dreadful experience performance wise, but yeah it would eventually
> succeed if big enough.

I'm not concerned with performance.  The F32 installs took time too.  But it
isn't as if
I was in a hurry.  These VM's are mostly only used to duplicate issues others
are having
on the users list.  So, install time and user experience are irrelevant, to me.

> Another test would be to use Custom partitioning to create disk-based
> swap equal to the amount of memory. To do that: keep the btrfs scheme
> and have it create the layout for you, then reduce the Btrfs partition
> (click on / or /home, and on the right side UI find 'Volume' and click
> the Modify button, use fixed size and set a value - now you can create
> swap same size as RAM).

I performed the above after assigning 1248mb and the install completed fine.

My suggestion would be that if the install process could detect/know that it is
below the limits
needed it would notify the user and not proceed.  That is, not just crash.

> I'm curious how much swap it ends up using but it'll probably be more
> than 800M in which case, it's just seriously under resourced.
>
> Still another test, you can keep increasing the zram device size up to
> 2x memory, i.e. ' zram-fraction=2.0' That has its own consequences but
> will still be way faster than disk based swap.

Speed isn't the issue, for me.  It is crashing v.s. not crashing

--
The key to getting good answers is to ask good questions.