On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 6:02 PM Ed Greshko <ed.gres...@greshko.com> wrote:

> >> I'll do this soon.  It may be delayed a day or so due to previous
> >> commitments.  Is that OK?
> > Yeah no hurry.
> >

> My morning unexpectedly opened up.
>
> Doing the above allowed the installation to complete with 1248mb of memory
> assigned to the VM.
> The system booted and is running fine.
>
> [egreshko@localhost ~]$ zramctl
> NAME       ALGORITHM DISKSIZE   DATA  COMPR  TOTAL STREAMS MOUNTPOINT
> /dev/zram0 lzo-rle       1.2G 510.6M 159.7M 167.6M       1 [SWAP]

Effective compression ratio is 3:1. Also, that's at the low end of
what I regularly see. High end 4:1.

If we had more data, 1:1 might be the safer and more conservative
option. Thing is, I don't know that. I can't prove it. But there's a
lot of historical data suggesting swap should be 50% of RAM. It only
became common to use 100% and higher, to support the hibernation use
case.

A compromise for F33 that has already been suggested, and is
compelling, is bump the ratio to 75%. And the cap from 4G to 6G. We
have so many use cases we don't know a ton about, on a variety of
archs, is the main reluctance. Things have been going extremely
smoothly so far.

But if we were to change it, a Beta FE might be a good time to do it,
so the new values are in beta. Because we could then back off for
final.

cc: Zbigniew and Alexey for opinions.

--
Chris Murphy