On Wed, 23 Jun 2021 06:40:38 -0700
stan <upai...@zoho.com> wrote:

> I tried to install the latest netinstall version (20210622) of rawhide
> yesterday using optical media.  Everything seems to work fine,
> except... without a net connection it does not fall back to using the
> minimal install on the CD.
>
> My router is set up to disable my ISP's DNS so that I can set the DNS
> servers to what I want them to be.  So installing the netinstall fails
> if the router is on because it keeps timing out waiting for DNS.

I can confirm that this was the problem.  After I successfully
installed using an ISO as the repository, I still had no access to the
internet.  I changed the settings in the router to use my ISP's DNS
servers instead of the custom DNS servers I had been using, and
everything started working.  I had tried changing settings for
systemd-resolved, but nothing I did allowed it to do name resolution.
NetworkManager had successfully set up the network, and if I used
numerical IP addresses, I could access the web.  I am unfamiliar with
systemd-resolved and it was probably my lack of knowledge that led to
my failure.  But from everything I could see, it should have been
working.  It showed that it knew about the DNS servers, but couldn't
use them for some reason.

This is going to be a rare problem, because there are probably few
people who aren't using the DNS servers that their ISP provides.