> I tried to build TeTeX 2.99.8 on a solaris 8 machine (with my recently
> built gcc 3.4.3, which is using Sun's as and ld).

The error message shows that configure has guessed that you are aiming
for a cross-compile. This usually means that compiling and running a
simple program has failed.

I'd say: fix your gcc installation. Look up the log file where the first
check about cross-compilation was made and inspect the config.log in
that directory for an error message.

If you need help, just send me your tetex_2.99.8_configure.log and I'll
try to tell you where the right config.log to look at is.

Thomas