> > 1. VARTEXMF in the man page should be TEXMFVAR
>
> By the way, why the renaming? It was kind of annoying for packaging
> upgradable Packages in Debian.

Given that we have now 6 predefined texmf trees, Olaf and I considered
it useful to have a consistent naming. All variables are now
TEXMF<something>.

> we would have needed to do this again with the new name. Instead I chose
> to patch the executables to continue using VARTEXMF).

What a bad choice. That means that teTeX-3.0 will behave differently
on debian than on all other systems. You also need to update all the
documentation (currently only TETETXDOC, but I might add something to
teTeX-FAQ, too).

What is really bad is that TEXMFVAR is to be set by the user if he wants
to have a local user-specific configuration (e.g. add his own map files to
the updmap configuration). Changing the name of the variable is therefore
a user-visible change which I really don't recommend.

Thomas