    > [...}
    > To test this, I inserted some extra text before the graphic and
    > ran latex. My appendix appears correctly on the odd page with
    > the added text. The graphic appears on the even page.

    > It's still confusing to me as to why LaTeX does it this way, but
    > at least I have a solution. I'm going to try scaling the graphic
    > down further (it's a ps file) to see if that helps.

There is plenty of documentation on your system, use the program
texdoctk to get an overview.  You must have Perl/Tk installed.

Then search for "epslatex" and read section 17 (page 45).

If texdoctk doesn't work, either install Perl/Tk or just type the
following line on the commandline:

gv -page 45 `kpsewhich -format='TeX system documentation' epslatex.ps`

Regards,
  Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha                                      Phone: +49-511-4592165
Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                              mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]