-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Theo Markettos
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 8:01 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Cross compiling teTeX

I've been having a go at cross compiling teTeX 2.0.2 for a non-Unix system,
and it's been fairly hard going.

The main problems are that it builds tools it uses itself in the build
process like web2c/web2c/tangle (and is therefore unsure when to use the
local compiler and when to use the cross compiler), that configuration
scripts do lots of AC_TRY_RUN without assuming a default in the case of a
cross compiler, and that I'm not sure whether teTeX's path handling can cope
with the idea that where programs are put when I do 'make install' and where
they end up on the destination system are completely different things (can
it?).

Supporting cross compiling is a large part of what autoconf is for, so I'd
imagine these aren't too hard, just time consuming, to fix.  But before I
dive into the code I was just wondering if any work had been done on this
(perhaps in 2.9*?) I've seen http://tex.aanhet.net/mingtex/ and that looks
interesting, but it's Windows specific.

If I were to produce a set of patches resembling the mingtex ones but
multiplatform (ie using autoconf properly), which would be the chance of
getting them integrated?  At the end of the day I'd rather avoid having to
maintain a set of patches for a moving target base code.

Thanks
Theo

--
Theo Markettos                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Clare Hall, Cambridge          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or
exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the
information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and
destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank
you