On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 10:07:30AM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Theo,
>
> I've done cross compiling of the suite under AIX-5.2 with a bootstraped
> gcc environment, (that was kind of a pain), but it was a unix variant. I
> would expect that Cywin would work ok, but without the unix abstraction
> layer, it's going to be a bit tricky.
>
> What's the target (os/hw), and could you potentially get a unix(like)
> environment to run tetex ? It seems like less work than than porting the
> build. (Sorry for the duplicate, but wanted to make sure that the response
> hit the list as well.)

It's RISC OS on ARM.  gcc and the Unix libraries give a POSIX-ish
environment which isn't too bad for command line programs if they don't use
complex features (like threads or mmap()), but most of the problems stem
from the general environment - the filing system structure is completely
different (writing stuff to /usr/share/something will work, but it's not
going to put it in a sensible place).  Also things like shell scripts won't
work (because the command line interpreter is different, like DOS, and
porting a shell is tricky due to the process model being different)

I've managed to compile up some of the programs (eg tex) which work to the
extent of printing the startup message, but filing system paths are going to
be an issue.  I suspect I need to look at kpathsea - are there any tools
in teTeX which don't use kpathsea for finding files?

I'll have a go with the latest betas, thanks for the tip.

Theo