> I have a problem, that kpsewhich seems not to work inside of kdvi. I made a
> testcase which shows the problem. When I issue
>
> kpsewhich --format=dvips config ps2pk.map

The format "dvips" does not exist and kpathsea ignores
--format=dvips. Then, it searches for "config" along TEXINPUTS (because
no known suffix is used) and does not find anything. Then it searches for
ps2pk.map along the "map" format (because .map is a known suffix for it)
and this succeeds.

I guess that you have two problems:
  - you did not read about the "dvips config" -> "map" API change for
    searching map files (this is explained in TETEXDOC)
  - you did not properly quote "dvips config" in your above command
    which has caused you to misinterpret the result.

    The right commands are:
    teTeX-3.0:
      kpsewhich --format=map ps2pk.map

    teTeX-2.x:
      kpsewhich --format='dvips config' ps2pk.map

    If you use the second form on a teTeX-3 system, you get an empty
    result, because ps2pk.map no longer exists in $TEXMF/dvips// (but
    in fonts/map/dvips/updmap/ps2pk.map in some texmf tree).

> I get nothing at all. You can see differences by using strace on the
> testprogramm and on kpsewhich itself.

Sure, one does two searches (on the search paths "tex" and "map") and
the other one does one search on the path "dvips config". You don't get
what you want, but you get what you have asked for.

> I'm sure that the programm should work because I tried both cases on an SuSe
> 9.1 default installation of teTeX and both times I got:
>
> /var/lib/texmf/dvips/config/ps2pk.map

The TDS has changed between teTeX-2 and teTeX-3. When the transition was
made, it was also decided to make an API change. Searching for map files
along the "dvips config" path is right for teTeX-2, but wrong for teTeX-3.

Thomas