> > made, it was also decided to make an API change. Searching for map files
> > along the "dvips config" path is right for teTeX-2, but wrong for teTeX-3.
>
> I recognize the error. However the infopage for kpsewhich still mentions
> `--format="dvips config"' for the --format option. Maybe it should be
> updated.

I just have checked the kpathsea maual and the info page an I can't see
anything wrong. The manual even tells you how to use quotes for the shell.

The place that mentions
  `--format="dvips config"'
refers to Dvips configuration files (e.g. config.ps) which you can find
using --format="dvips config" (even in teTeX-3).

In other words: teTeX-2.x has used --format="dvips config" for map files
and other config files. Now (in teTeX-3.x), map files have their own
proper path, but --format="dvips config" still exists. OK?

Thomas