I recently upgraded my gentoo box to tetex-3.0 (via their tetex-3.0-r1
ebuild) and now cannot run etex:

# etex camfr.texi
This is e-TeX, Version 3.141592-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
---! /var/lib/texmf/web2c/etex.fmt was written by pdfetex
(Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

I've tried using fmtutil-sys to rewrite the fmt, but that has not
helped.

Using tex(1) rather than etex(1) works, and pdfetex(1) fails only
because the package that is trying to run texi2dvi has no pdf versions
of its includes, but only eps.

Interestingly, I tried this:

    cd /usr/bin
    mv etex etex_ && ln -s pdfetex etex

and now etex(1) works.  (Including outputting dvi rather than pdf.)

Is this a bug in gentoo's ebuild or a tetex bug?

If you do not have a gentoo box one can grab the ebuild from their
cvs tree at:

http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/app-text/tetex/tetex-3.0-r1.ebuild
http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/eclass/tetex-3.eclass
http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/eclass/tetex.eclass