On May 22, 2005, at 5:43 PM, Thomas Esser wrote:

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 02:51:47PM +0200, Artemio Gonzalez Lopez wrote:

my case, texconfig and texconfig-sys show that the hyphenation files
used by etex and latex are the ones in my home texmf tree, which I have
appropriately customized. kpsewhich agrees with this:

[tillina:~] artemio% kpsewhich language.def
/Users/artemio/Library/texmf/tex/plain/config/language.def
[tillina:~] artemio% kpsewhich language.dat
/Users/artemio/Library/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat

Better try
  kpsewhich -progname=etex language.def
  kpsewhich -progname=latex language.dat

If his shows different files than those ready by latex / etex, you have
to run latex / etex with KPATHSEA_DEBUG set (e.g. to -1). Let me know
if you need more help.

Thomas,

Thanks a lot for your help! Actually, my report about texconfig not using the hyphenation files kpsewhich was pointing to was WRONG, so please forget my previous post. I have, however, a further question related to rebuilding formats. In order to make texconfig automatically rebuild etex and latex with the correct format files (not the default ones), I had to trick it into believing that the hyphenation files had changed by making inessential changes to them (for instance, removing blank lines or spaces). Is there a better way of doing this, or should I just do it by hand using fmtutil?

Thanks again for your help,

Artemio Gonzalez-Lopez

[EMAIL PROTECTED]