Hi Thomas,

>> initiated that discussion) posted to tex-live? After the discussion on
>> tex-fonts I think it was pretty clear that one is not allowed to
>> distribute any fonts derived from Utopia. Otherwise it would be free in
>> the FSF sense.
>
> That "Otherwise" does not make any sense. The freedom to distribute
> modified versions of "the software" is one of the core items in the FSF
> definition of free software. In the FSF sense, the lack of this freedom
> makes it non-free.

I guess I wasn't as clear as I wanted to be. I wanted to say that Utopia
is non-free, because derived works aren't allowed, and that I think this
is the only thing missing for it to be free. If derived works were
allowed, Utopia would be free.

> Ok, I'll think about it.

Thanks for considering.

BTW, one easier thing to consider for inclusion in teTeX is mpsproof, a
extension of mproof that works with pdfTeX.

cheerio
ralf