This is not what the mailing list is about.  Please post to
comp.text.tex instead.

Fredrik Thorsell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I've had problems with latex the last few days. First A file of mine
> wouldn't compile. It complained about unfinnished "/fi"
> statements.

That's because your file is bad.

> While compiling it on another system with latex installed it worked
> like a charm and it worked fine with pdflatex.

Shere luck at best.

> The kink was at the first if statement in the lines below (which by
> the way is a rip of of "The Not So Short Introduction to LaTeX2e"):

Seems like you ripped the stuff wrong

> \documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{article}
> \newif\ifPDF
> \ifx\pdfoutput\undefined\PDFfalse
> \else\ifnum\pdfoutput > 0\PDFtrue

This is the faulty line.  There is a space missing after 0.  So TeX
goes on expanding things to see whether you are talking about 04 or 08
perhaps.  So it expands \PDFtrue while doing the comparison, and
\PDFtrue is equal to \let\ifPDF\iftrue.  TeX notices that \pdfoutput
is _not_ greater than zero now (as \let is not part of a number) and
skips over matching \if\fi pairs.  Unfortunately, it does not find
anything to match both the \ifPDF as well as the \iftrue.

But please post in future general questions like this to the Usenet
group comp.text.tex.  Those are not particular to teTeX.