On 4/19/06, Martin Siegumfeldt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I have just upgraded from Fedora Core4 to Core5, and realized that Xdvi
> does not show eps images anymore. The following is printed to the
> console when an eps ought to (but is not) displayed:
>
> gs: Error: /invalidaccess in --put--
> [...]
> I use preview-latex through auc-tex in combination with emacs, which
> which doesn't show eps images either. Could this be due to an upgrade of
> Ghostscript? I do not remember which version was installed before the
> upgrade, but the current is 8.15.1 (2005-09-22). Are there any
> requirements for Ghostscript from TeTex?

The key requirement for ghostscript is that it work properly.   There
may be some dodgey files that work with some versions but not others,
but I've used 8.15.1 and 8.53 with xdvi on other systems.

The canonical test file is grfguide.tex, whch contains a minimal (e)ps file.

Can you catch gs misbehaving independently of tetex?  Then you could
file a bug report with Red Hat against gs.   You could try installing
the current gs 8.53 from sources, which is not at all difficult (e.g.,
compared to using TeX) if the tools are working.

--
George N. White III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia