> [...]
> >  kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfivemp --bdpi 600 --mag 1+0/600
> >  --dpi 600 pbkl7t
> You seem to be missing the font outlines. xdvi needs them to
> create the preview. Just create ps file and preview it with gs.

This interpretation misses the point: the problem here is that xdvi does
not find pbkl7t.vf. That file tells xdvi to look for pbkl8r...

Looking at the strace output of the xdvi run, I have noticed that xdvi
does not read the ls-R file of the main texmf tree. I think that either
  - this important file does not exist
or
  - the search path for ls-R files is wrong

The !! that is specified in the search path for vf fonts disallows xdvi to
search the directories.

Thomas