> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{pifont}
> \begin{document}
> \ding{37}
> \end{document}

Well, works for me on all systems that I have tested (Linux and Solaris).
LaTeX, dvips and xdvi: all no problem.

> (martin@lasker) ~/i/resume $ /usr/bin/latex tel.tex
> warning: kpathsea: No usable entries in /usr/share/texmf/ls-R.
> warning: kpathsea: See the manual for how to generate ls-R.
> This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.2)

Well, a known bug. New GNU fileutils and old mktexlsr. They do not work
together. After that mktexlsr was released, the fileutils maintainer
have changed the output format of ls :-( New versions of mktexlsr
(e.g. teTeX-1.0) do work with GNU fileutils-4.

> LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `U/pzd/m/n' undefined
> (Font)              using `U/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 60.

Ok, this system misses a .fd file. In teTeX, these have always been
provided.

> (martin@aix) ~/i/resume $ LANG=C xdvi tel.dvi
> Could not load program xdvi.bin:
>       Dependent module /usr/lib/libXt.a(shr.o) could not be loaded.
>       Member shr.o is not found in archive
>
> Hmmm.  A shared library build glitch.

If this is the teTeX-provided binary, report this as a bug. Please,
mention the AIX release that you are using. Are you using the default
X libraries that come with the system, or do you have "own" ones (and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH set?

> (martin@polgar) ~/i/resume $ xdvi tel.dvi
> kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 1+0/600 --dpi 600 pzdr
> mktexpk: Running gsftopk pzdr 600
> gsftopk(k) version 1.17
> gs: No such file or directory

You can set up mktexpk to use ps2pk instead of gsftopk (just look at
texmf/web2c/mktex.cnf). That way, you do not need gs.  Or, install gs.

> Amazingly, this actually succeeded in printing a real telephone glyph!

:-)

> But it shouldn't be this hard.

Well, for me, it just works. One problem is that you are using a
PostScript font without the "default" program that people use to handle
PostScript (gs + gv). The other way (ps2pk + xdvi) was not known to

Of course, ps2pk *is* mentioned in TETEXDOC.

Thomas