Sebastian,

 > Frank Mittelbach writes:
 >  >  > came from a TeX Live CD. The next incarnation has no AIX binaries on.
 >  >
 >  > ouch -- wrong approach imho; the problem is already that too many
 >  > installations are incomplete (while texlive is more or less not:-)
 >  > taking away the binaries of some major platform is not going to
 >  > help the whole thing
 >
 > does anyone use RS6000s or AIX?
 >
 > so tell me what else to delete from TeXLive :-}

if you ask me: probably aix and even other sets of binaries, but i would
strongly vote for providing them ready to run outside the core CD, eg in a way
that the set of less used binaries is available for download (or via a second
CD) and can be installed without any pain

TeX has the mythos of running everywhere identically and TeXLive helps a lot
of providing this for various platforms (out of the box) --- this is an
important feature even though the need for alpha aix hpux ... might not be
that great, it is there

this is a bit like the people that check train usage and conclude that they
can make the last stop 3 stops before the current end because there are not
that many people on the train anymore (after a while they come to the same
conclusion a couple of stop earlier, guess why?)

 >  >  > if anyone has a contact at IBM who wants to donate an RS6000 to the
 >  >  > TeXLive project, I'm listening.....
 >  >
 >  > why not ask madame president?
 > ok will do
 >
 >  > or, if you like i can grep to they 10 years of mails and ask anybody with
 >  > ibm.com in it whether he would help to contribute a box for this
 >
 > tempting idea :-}

i could, but she could perhaps better

frank