On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 02:02:38PM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Is it possible to setup tetex to produce postscript files instead of
> dvi? I find that I'm almost always converting the dvi to ps, either for
> printing or even on-screen viewing ... I can type 'dvips ...; gv ...'
> almost in my sleep.
>
> --
> Bob van der Poel ** Wynndel, British Columbia, CANADA **
> EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> WWW:   http://users.uniserve.com/~bvdpoel

Once set ..

alias x="latex file.tex"
alias y="dvips file.dvi -o file.ps"
:> file.ps
gv file.ps &

In gv switch on State->"Watch file" to automatically
update the gv-screen after every change to file.ps.

This is espeacially usefull for documents with more
than one page. You can select the page your are working
on and stay there.

Then for the trial and error phase you only have to
type x and y.

If you use gvim as your editor it opens its own window
and puts itself into the background leaving the shell
command line of your terminal free.

gvim also understands latex and shows commands in
different colors.

--
Best regards
Klaus