[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Tue, 08 May 2001 14:05:17 +0200, Christian Mondrup
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >- gzip'ed postscript files (donna.ps.gz) should be handled as MIME
> >types. I.e. browsers should know how to deal with them. This is
> >straightforward with Netscape having its own MIME type configuration
> >(Edit -> Preferences -> Navigator -> Applications) while Microsoft IE
> >for Win9x relies on the registry database.
> OK, but what exactly is a Mime type anyway,

an acronyme for 'Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions', a protocol for
transfering numerous types of documents via internet, see
http://rfc.dk/2045 and http://rfc.dk/2046 (stored on the sunsite
server).

> and what Mime type do I
> have to specify to tell Netscape how to handle something with a .ps.gz
> extension?

the MIME type application/postscript applied on files with suffixes .ai,
.eps and .ps as inserted into the registry database at the installation
of gsview should suffice to make Netscape capable of handling also
.ps.gz files - opposite to what I wrote in my previous posting. At least
so it is with the Compaq laptop pc I'm using to test such things. It
looks like Win9x Netscape more cleverly than IE recognizes the .ps.gz
suffix as a compressed postscript MIME type and lets it over to gsview
to handle it - which gsview *is* capable of. Netscape on my laptop has
nothing specific set up for handling postscript files but seems to look
up into the registry database what to do with them.

 It appears to have no problem with ordinary .ps stuff --
> just prompts me to save it to disk -- and doesn't actually have a Mime
> type for it that I could crib from. But if I leave the Mime type field
> blank, it pops up a message box saying I'm not allowed to do so.
>
> And .ps.gz isn't as straightforward as all that in Netscape -- my copy
> still insists on changing the file extension to .ps.ps on every
> download. Now GSView will happily open such a file without requiring a
> manual edit of the extension, but that isn't obvious at first glance.

yes, my win98 netscape also presents the name of the file to be opened
as blabla.ps.ps and then handles it properly! I admit that that may seem
confusing. I still think, however, that the Netscape handling of .ps.gz
*is* straightforward since you need to do - nothing!

> What it looks like -- to us Windows weenies and others who don't know
> much about computers, don't care much either, and just want to get the
> file printed out and on the music stand -- is a funny extension that
> causes problems in Netscape. Darn. This isn't working. Hit "Cancel"
> and wander off to surf some other site...

Your comments on being confused and by that scared away from the archive
are highly worth taking into consideration. Do other of you share Eva's
opinion?
--
Christian Mondrup, Computer Programmer
Scandiatransplant, Skejby Hospital, University Hospital of Aarhus