Did this work in some past version and then stop working?  If so, please
send me the pmx source.

If you want the names to be stacked and centered in the margin, the
following may not be elegant, but it works for me:

2 2 4 4 4 4 0 0
1 1 20 .1
\vbox{\hbox to \parindent{\hss Tenor\hss}\hbox to \parindent{\hss Bass\hss}}
\vbox{\hbox to \parindent{\hss Soprano\hss}\hbox to \parindent{\hss
Alto\hss}}
bt
./
c03 | c //
c04 | c /
e04 | e //
g04 | g /

I haven't checked this in earlier versions but can't see why it shouldn't
work.  I couldn't get \centerline to work at all in this context.

--Don Simons