There are two conventions for changing a key signature:

1. Use naturals to cancel the old accidentals, then supply the
   new accidentals as needed.

2. Use naturals to cancel the old accidentals only if the new
   key has none, then supply the new accidentals as needed.

Modern practice has abandoned the first method.  My installation
of MusicTeX (5.06) uses it exclusively.

I have found that the second method can be used by inserting one
line in this macro:

        \def\compnwsign{
        % Beginning of hack.
                        \ifnum\sign=0\relax\else\o@sign=0\fi
        % End of hack.
                        \ifnum\o@sign=0\relax
                        \else\ifnum\sign=0\relax
                             \else\kern 0.4\Internote
                             \fi
                        \fi
           \ifnum\o@sign<0\relax\w@flats\w@sharps
           \else\w@sharps\w@flats
           \fi}%

This effectively declares the old signature empty unless the new one is.

If this option has already been added in one of the many later versions
of MusicTeX/MusixTeX, I apologize for bringing up the issue.

                                        --Col. G. L. Sicherman