> Question: is the loading of cmr10 cmbx12 etc. in parallel of ecrm1000
> and ecbx1200 a serious problem of font storage spacing?

not really, with a half-way modern tex.  latex does it all the time.

> Now, a second problem arises: should a traditional name like \tenrm
> always refer to the upright/mdseries variant of CM fonts (remembrer that
> MusiXTeX does not necessarily imply LaTeX, and not Plain TeX, since it
> must work with BOTH Plain and LaTeX), or should it refer to the
> upright/mdseries choosen by the user for HIS text (cmr10, ecrm1000,
> rxrm1000 in cyrillic, wncyr10 in AMS coding of cyrillic, etc.)?

personally, i wouldn't use the "traditional" name, which hasn't been
present in current latex for nearly 8 years, anyway.

my own choice (in the work-around for this problem i developed for
myself) is to

-- detect whether (current) latex is being used
-- if so, define the musixtex commands in terms of latex font
   selections, rather than any named font (note, we avoid the cyrillic
   problem by using t1 or ot1 here, rather than t2<x> or ot2)
-- if not, use the existing code.

i'm afraid i don't know enough about how people manage with non-cm
fonts to be able to advise on how the code should work with plain
tex.  but i'm pretty sure that under latex, the latex "way" i outline
should operate.

>  BTW3, the present version of MusiXTeX (T104) redefines \tenrm, \ninerm,
> \twelvebf, \eightit, etc. ONLY when defined before (there is an
> \ifx\tenrm\undefined...\fi bracing these font redefinitions). But up to
> now, \pp \p \ppp... \ffff in bold italic are redefined ALWAYS (this is
> not coherent, but I want to know your advice before homogeneizing in one
> sens or the other.

as i say, i wouldn't bother with the pre-1994 commands anyway.  so you
can do what you like when operating under plain tex, as far as i'm
concerned.

(of course, you can have any code of mine you like.  i don't recall
where it is, just now -- my original motivation for writing it was for
musical illustrations of an autobiographical note, which is set in
times.)

robin