Dear all.

During the last few weeks I've been experimenting with the plain TeX
macro collection PSTricks for 'drawing' music typesetting symbols.

For these experiments I've been working with a lute tablature made by
Vincenzo Galilei on a (now lost) 5 part composition by Alessandro
Striggio - both outstanding personalities in late 16th & early 17th
century Florentine music life.

My typesetting contains a transcription of the tablature into 'ordinary'
music notation along with Galilei's original lute tablature. For the
latter Ronald Gelten's guitar tablature macros TABdefs (available in our
software section) has offered the needed wide 6 line tableture staff
plus fret marks. Apart from that, however, for Italian style lute
tablature there is also needed some special duration symbols to be
printed above the tablature staff.

I soon realized that MusiXTeX's line drawing facilities will not allow
me to generate these facilities. Then I was left with creating the
missing symbols as fonts which requires METAFont which is highly above
my capacity or with drawing them directly with postscript. And this is
what I ended up with by means of the macro collection PSTricks coming
both with teTeX and MIKTeX. Among the nice features of these macros is
that size parameters may be given in TeX dimensions like \internote so
that the size of the symbols drawn grow and shrink with the chosen of
\musicsize.

IMHO the main perspective of my experiments is that PSTricks allows the
typesetter to draw (almost) anything anywhere within a score like is the
case with the corresponding drawing facilities of the music typesetter
MUP. A minor drawback - which PSTricks shares with PSslurs - is that
they don't work with pdftex and dvipdfm. For best result pdf a type 1
postscript score should be made for generating pdf with ps2pdf.

I've made my sources available with the published score found in
http://icking-music-archive.sunsite.dk/ByComposer/Striggio.html

Bye
--
Christian Mondrup, Computer Programmer
Scandiatransplant, Skejby Hospital, University Hospital of Aarhus