Recently while browsing the harpsichord list I came across a link to a
complete downloadable facsimile of Duphly's harpsichord works:
http://jacques.duphly.free.fr/accueil.html .  Most of this is for solo
harpsichord and has been published in an outrageously priced modern edition
by Heugel. But in volume 3 there are some pieces that add a violin as a sort
of accompaniment. They don't seem to be in the Heugel volume, and even if
they were I would still be motivated to make a PCH Publishing edition just
to make them available at a more reasonable price.

Anyhow, in working on La Madin several interesting issues came up related to
which notes of the keyboard part go in which staves. I would like to have a
rule that says "LH notes always in the lower staff, RH always in the upper."
But I know this won't work all the time. So is this even a good starting
point? If so, what are the exceptions?

The first example involves crossed-hands. Here's an extract from the
facsimile and of my version:
http://icking-music-archive.sunsite.dk/software/duphly/duphlyex.gif
As you can see, I elected to follow the basic rule. Now before anyone jumps
all over me about messing around with the original layout, I want to point
out that I found an example in a facsimile of one of J. B. de Boismortier's
sonatas for flute and harpsichord (same score layout, same period) that was
very similar to this, in which he did it the same way I did, complete with
the necessarily frequent clef changes. The common feature is that the RH
rests when the LH is crossed over. If the RH were playing, like for example
in the crossovers in Bach's Fantasie in C minor BWV 906, then this approach
might be confusing, so maybe that's one of the exceptions.

The second example involves an arpeggio:
http://icking-music-archive.sunsite.dk/software/duphly/lamadinex2.gif
Here, I also chose to follow the rule. Moreover, in keeping with another
rule I made up, I changed clefs to avoid using a third ledger line for the
a.  On the other hand, one could argue that Duphly's layout is more pleasing
to the eye and is relatively unambiguous due to the stem directions and just
the mechanics of playing it.

Comments?

--Don Simons