Guido Amoruso wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 15:49, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I agree entirely, and as a matter of fact I was drafting a comment
> > along the same lines in reply to Christof's post when Irwin's mail
> > reached me. Daniel's MusixTeX manual is one of the best pieces of
> > software documentation I've come across, but for anyone who isn't
> > conversant with TeX to begin with, it's rather daunting to try to
> > teach yourself MusixTeX from it. (It can be done -- I managed it, with
> > a lot of help from listmembers and especially Werner Icking -- but it
> > does take a fair amount of dedication.)
> I agree at all, too. I'm new to this list (even though I've been
> subscribed for almost two year) but I'd like to say that an newbie
> introduction is really necessary.
> I admit I have not learned some MusixTeX yet and this is due to the lack
> of a "basics" manual when I discovered it: now I have knowledge enough
> to start and learning, but for a person who has never heard of TeX and
> similar is almost impossible - or it would require a lot of time and
> backgroung understanding which not everyone has :-(

Remember that one never learns a language reading a manual.
If you want to learn whatever (C, TeX, LaTeX, MusixTeX, COBOL, etc.)
juste get the source et look at the result.
Then remove anything you understand, and replace it with YOUR needs.

Same for MusiXTeX: take an example, and change the notes. In case of
trouble (but only in case of), revert to Murphy's law: ``when everything
else fails, read the manual''. This is especially true for MusiXTeX,
since the result is not a computation but a typeout.

And the manual has a lot of stand-alone examples: in case of difficulty,
LOOK at the manual and find and example similar to your needs. Then take
the source from the manual source...