On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 18:32:48 +0100 (CET), TORRI Vincent
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I've tried this. It seems to work, but it is awfully programmed...
>First, i use \ibbu (as using \ibbl and \tbb* seems to keep the lowest
>beam). I change the starting pitch of the beam. I put the note at pitch p
>with lower stem (with no spacing). I shift it to get it a the right place
>and I increase the length of its stem so that its stem reaches the beam.
>Then I put a phantom note to simulate the first note of the upper beam.
>  It requires some work but it works...
>
>\notes\ibbu0{`d}6\stemlength{8}\roff{\zql{'p}}\stemlength{4.66}\sk\sk%
>\hqsk\islurd1K\qb0{^K}\tslur1L\tbbu0\qb0L\nbbu0%
>\qb0b\qb0d\tqh0g\en

<smacks forehead>

For crying out loud. Thanks, Vincent -- I was so sure the solution
would be a complicated one that it never occurred to me to try
offsetting the first note to align with the beam!

As it turns out, the phantom beam members etc. aren't strictly
necessary; the following code seems to work acceptably:

\def\smallroff#1{\roffset{0.95}{#1}}%
\startextract
\addspace{-1\afterruleskip}%
\notes\ibbu0J6\smallroff{\qb0p}%
\hqsk\islurd1K\qb0{^K}\tslur1L\tbbu0\qb0L\nbbu0%
\qb0b\qb0d\tqh0g\en
\endextract

The flaw in this setup is that there's a little too much space between
the start of this beamed group and whatever precedes it unless you
perform the \addspace maneuvre with a negative value of
\afterruleskip. In the score I'm currently setting, this of beam
occurs right after a bar line, and in this situation the \addspace
correction appears to work well. I hope there aren't any hidden
catches that would cause problems somewhere else...

Eva

Downloadable guitar edition of J.S. Bach, Lute Suite BWV 995:
http://icking-music-archive.sunsite.dk/scores/bach/bwv995/bwv995cg.pdf
--
"People think that I can teach them style. What stuff it all is!
Have something to say, and say it as clearly as you can. That is