Alexander V. Voinov wrote

> As I remember, one of the rules is that slurs should not cross the
> stems. That is why I always have to raise (or lower) slurs manually in
> my scores, when they join more than 2 notes. And this is boring. :-)

I suppose you're referring to PMX. It's true that PMX is oblivious to any
intervening notes when deciding how to set a slur. But it's not true that
one would *always* have to adjust the slur manually to avoid stem crossings
in such cases. For example, if the stem directions of all the notes in the
slur were the same, then the slur should still be OK unless one of the
intervening notes is well removed from the line between the first and last
note, and then only if the offset is in the direction opposite the stems.
It would be exceedingly complex to design an algorithm that checked for
this...it would not only have to know the lengths of all the stems (which
varies) and their anchor points,  but also the exact shape of the slur. Does
anyone know if any of the "big boys" like Finale and Score can do this?

--Don Simons