> Depends on what you mean by "elegant".  The way I would do it
> is to put the note on which I want the beam to be calculated
> in the melodic line and the other notes on the chord line.

The problem remains, for every choice of melodic line:
If I take "c+" to be the melodic note, the beam is placed
stem-down, again disturbing the two other chord notes.
And forcing the beam up with "[u" gives similar problems as before.

> Alternatively, in your second version, put \lyr\ in front
> of the second note inside the forced beam.  (This kind of
> thing is discussed in one of worked examples in the Appendix
> of the M-Tx manual.)

All right, thanks.  That works perfectly.
(And it is elegant enough for my purposes).

As the original problem, from a PMX perspective:
it would be nice if the beam placement of chords would be
automatically "correct" (in some way or the other ...)  :-)

--      Peter.