From: Cornelius C. Noack [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Mittwoch, 21. Januar 2004 00:04
To: Typesetting music with TeX
Subject: Re: [Tex-music] PMX I/O error in second PMX pass

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Mekelburg, Karsten wrote:

> The following piece produces an error in the second pmx pass, no tex file will be
> produced. The error will be ocured, if you used the first or second variant of the
> 25.th bar. It dieappear if you comment the 24.the bar or if you take the 3.th
> variant of the 25.th bar. I can't find any explanation about this error. Also the
> bar 25 looks not strange, it looks like "normal" pmx code. Can anybody halp me?
>
> best regards

Your problem is with the many ledger lines that begin in the
treble voice in bar 23. If  you replace the first a1+ in that staff by
a14, say, the error goes away. To understand this, it is useful to know
what the 2 passes of pmx do:

  (1) pass 1 (formerly called "pmxa.exe") reads in the pmx source, does
      the syntax checking, and produces an intermediate file in which
      some of the pmx shorthand notation has been expanded,
  (2) pass 2 (formerly called "pmxb.exe"; the two passes were then
      appended to make 1 file, "pmxab.exe") then reads this as its
      input, and produces the .tex output file.

The exceedingly many ledger lines produce an output line in pass 1 that
is too long for the input "READ" command of pass 2, whence the error.
Admittedly the error message isn't of much use here ...

2 comments:
      (i) Are you sure that is what you really want in your score ? Do
          you expext any organ player to be able to play these notes on
          sight-reading ?? If your answer to question one is YES, you
          should definitely consider the octaviation notation. How to do
          that is described in my PMX tutorial in the WIMA:
        http://icking-music-archive.org/software/pmx/pmxccn.pdf

     (ii) You commented out the line "\\input def\"
          in your pmx input file which seems to read in the definitions
          of the "\reg" and "\Reg", so these produced an extra error
          with me. It may be more convenient to use the brand-new
          facility for inputing that is now available in PMX version
          2.416. You should definitely take a look at that!

"Hope this hilft".

ccn.

  Prof.Dr. Cornelius C. Noack    Phones:
  Inst. f. Theor. Physik FB 1 office   : +49 (421) 218-2427
  Universit"at Bremen         secretary: -2422
  Otto-Hahn-Allee             Fax      : -4869
  D - 28334  Bremen           home     : +49 (421) 34 22 36
                                             Fax:  346 7872
  E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  WWW-page: www.itp.uni-bremen.de/~noack

Ab sofort steht das neue Realease 5.1 des theGuard! NetworkManager zur Verfügung!
Erfahren Sie mehr über die Highlights der neuen Version wie zum Beispiel neue
Discovery- und Topologiefunktionen, erweiterte Reportingfunktionen und die Multi Site
Edition unter http://www.realtech.de/topic.asp?go=NetworkManager

REALEDUCATION Schulungskalender 2004
Neu im REALTECH Schulungsprogramm sind Kurse mit den Themenschwerpunkten Security für
SAP-Systeme sowie Aufbau und Betrieb eines SAP Enterprise Portals 6.0. Erfahren Sie
mehr unter: http://www.realtech.de/realeducation

------------------------------
Bitte beachten Sie: Diese E-Mail enthält vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte
Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich
erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und löschen Sie diese
E-Mail, einschließlich aller Dateianhänge. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte
Weitergabe dieser Mail oder von Teilen dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.

Please note: This e-mail may contain confidential and/or legal privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please
notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail including any attachments. Any
unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail or of
parts hereof is strictly forbidden.