Short answer - you don't need GhostScript installed for MiKTeX's ps2pdf to
work (sorry Robin!). MiKTeX is designed to be megalithic in that regard and
have no external dependencies.

MiKTeX has an embedded version of GhostScript (gswin32c.exe patched and
renamed to mgs.exe)... it does some weird patching hackery (you'll notice in
miktex\bin in your texmf root that each batch file has a corresponding .exe
file).

If you want more information on the process, though, I'd suggest posting to
the MiKTeX users list (it is a question which does the rounds there from
time to time)

Best,

David