I'm not sure I understand the question, so I'll just give you some general
info. \meterfont is a MusiXTeX macro that designates the font to be used for
numbers in time signatures. Musixtex.tex assigns it a value depending on
\musicsize. So whatever basic \musicsize you have selected in PMX (or in raw
MusiXTeX) (probably 16 or 20), \meterfont will automatically be assigned a
value that makes the numbers in numerical time signatures fill the
appropriate amount of vertical space, roughly half the height of the staff.
You probably would never need to change its automatically assigned value.
You could do it if you really wanted to, for example by using inline TeX to
say \\def\meterfont{cmr8}\ , but if you then used a normal numerical time
signature, the numbers would come out the wrong size.

To use the special half-circle and circle characters in a time signature,
several things have to be done "by hand". They are accomplished by the
inline TeX that I most recently supplied. A font must be selected so that
the characters will be the right size. Then some coding has to be done to
get them to appear in the right place. For 16-pt staves, the right font is
old-feta16. Again, if for some reason you want them to be a different size,
you can for example simply replace "\\font\halfc=old-feta20\" with
\\font\halfc=old-feta16\ in the inline TeX I supplied. But then you may also
want to adjust the positioning of the character; to do that you must fiddle
with the number after "\raise" (for vertical position), or after \kern (for
horizontal positioning). I can't give you a recipe for this, it has to be
trial and error.

--Don Simons