Dear Don,

Thanks for your reply.

On 13/07/2009, at 1:47 PM, Don Simons wrote:

Graham Norton wrote

A. The good news is that TexMozartp3.tex (see attached) did compile and generate the same output as in the manual (except for the bar numbers). For this to work, the input file and the directory musixtex MUST be at
the same level in the parent directory. This is crucial.

Not on my PC. TeXMozartp3.tex goes through just fine, straight out of the
box, without any musixtex directory at the same level as the source. I
believe all that is required is to have a properly set up installation of TeX and MusiXTeX, with a path variable set to allow execution of all the necessary binaries, and with musixtex.tex and all the musixtex fonts in folders that TeX can find. In MiKTeX, the latter is accomplished by placing the files in the designated user input folder or a subfolders of that, and
then "refreshing the filename database."

I tried putting TexMozartp3.tex in Downloads, a complely different directory which does not contain any musixtex software. (I moved all my WIMA downloads elsewhere in a directory Documents/music).

Then I double-clicked on it to bring up Texshop (downloaded from CTAN) and it compiled correctly in Tex . Perhaps it was just the initial run that needed them in the same position. No need to modify any path names or a database.

C. I note that doc/musixdoc.tex (which I cannot latex)

When I first tried to latex it (not tex; it's a LaTeX file), latex
complained that it couldn't find backgrnd.sty. So I grabbed that file from
the musixtex.zip and put it in my user tex input folder, refreshed the
filename database, and the file compiles just fine.

No complaints about not being able to find backgrnd.sty ; it stops  with

!no room for a new count

l 400 \newcount\nofMPsegements

Unfortunately the log file is different and I cannot past the console errors.

differs from the
pdf file of the manual currently available from WIMA. I'd like to
suggest that the pdf version of musixdoc.tex be put on WIMA, replacing
the current one.

There are two versions of the manual on WIMA. I believe that the directly
linked copy of version T.113, at
http://www.icking-music-archive.org/software/musixtex/musixdoc.pdf
is the same as the one from musixdoc.tex in the musixtex.zip. If there are
any differences, please let me know exactly where they are.

I have not compared them in detail, but Chapter {Examples} in musixdoc.tex is quite different from \Chapter{MusixTex examples} of the pdf of T114 that I downloaded.

The other one
that is directly linked is version T.114, at
http://www.icking-music-archive.org/software/musixtex/mxdoc110d.pdf
This is an extensively edited version. I am not going to remove it, because
I spent a long time creating it, and I believe it's a substantial
improvement over to older version. Some day I or some other volunteer may create a new musixtex.zip; and when and if that happens, the most recent
version of the manual will be included.

On line 8048 of musixdoc.tex, we read:

" When producing this examples, care should be taken about the fact that
several given files are supposed to be included (by means of
\keyindex{input}) in other files. Thus the only good files to be
directly \TeX-ed are those which begin with \verb|\input musixtex| or
\verb|% \input musixtex|. This latter command is often commented out
so that the examples can be run either using a \musixtex\ format
including {\tt musixcpt.tex} and {\tt musixsty.tex} --- namely the
format generated by {\tt musixtex.ins} --- or using a \musictex\ format including {\tt musictrp.tex}, {\tt musicvbm.tex} and {\tt musicsty.tex}
--- namely the format generated by {\tt musixtex.ins}."

It would be very useful if this statement (or a shortened version of
it) were included as a footnote before the first examples in the manual
. And 'begin{music}'  \'end \{music} ' should be removed from the
example! ... it is a bit confusing here for the reader, as Tex is
mentioned repeatedly as the preferred engine, and in Chapter 2, opening paragraph, we are reminded that \input musixtex must be included, again
suggesting Tex.

Where to begin? I removed this comment from version T.114 of the manual. It contains lots of references to obsolete components of the MusiXTeX system. The corresponding text in T.114 is "The file musixdoc.tex, the source for
this manual, contains many useful examples. In the
PDF, many examples are accompanied by a display of the code that produced
them, while for a
few only an image of the extract is included in the PDF and you'll have to
look in musixdoc.tex
to see the coding." I admit that I didn't go into the complex distinctions between TeX and LaTeX at this point. But the idea is that in most cases, one can copy the source from the PDF, surround it with the necessary boilerplate
including setting up the page size, \input musixtex,
\startmuflex\startpiece, etc., and then TeX it. If I ever revise the manual again, perhaps I'll include a section explaining exactly how to do this.

Yes, its just unfortunate that the Mozart example on p3,4 is surrounded by a few lines of LaTex boilerplate (\begin{music}... \end{music}) instead of either no LaTex boilerplate at all or the correct Tex boilerplate (\input musixtex ....\bye ). While I remember, musixdoc.tex has 'another' example immediately following this one before section 1.3 starts. See paragraph: The \ital{coding} ...

D. Including

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{musixtex}

\end{document}

around the example was a good suggestion. For this to work, my input
Mozartp3.tex and the directory musixtex have to be in the same parent
directory (i.e. at the same level).

Unfortunately it still won't complete, complaining:

!I can't find 'Mozartp3.aux,'
\enddocument

and hangs on
l. 17 \end{document}

with no pdf file generated. Definite progress, but this is strange as
there are no e.g section references to generate such a file(??)

Seems to be a Latex problem. Oddly enough, Tex does not complain about
a missing .aux file, and does not generate one from e.g.
adagio.tex.

I can't test these assertions since you didn't include Mozartp3.tex. As I said above, I had no problem LaTeX'ing TexMozartp3.tex in my TeX system. Based on your need to position various files just so, I'm guessing that you haven't integrated the musixtex files correctly into your TeX system. (And
I'm afraid I can't help much with that on a Mac.)

--Don Simons

I am attaching Mozartp3.tex. After I sent the email, I decided to try typing x in the console box (x is how to exit from latex in unix; iMac says ctrl-D and strangely nothing about using x). This exited nicely on my iMac, overrriding the lack of an .aux file and produced the correct pdf file, also attached!! A bit of a nuisance, but does not seem to be a musixtex problem.

I also tried moving and compiling Mozartp3.tex in Downloads; this also worked, except for having to type x in the console box to exit from Latex.

Thanks again for your help.

Graham Norton