On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 11:56:24AM +0200, Jean-Pierre Coulon wrote:

> > would it be possible to change in a score the number of staves within a
> > system? I had this problem a few years ago and solved this problem by using
> > an individual mtx-file for each group of systems with the same number of
> > staves, making eps-files and combine these files by LaTeX's icludegraphics.
> > Maybe there is another more convenient method?
>
> Even in MusiXTeX I don't know how to do this.

You can pretend the piece has more than one movement, and use PMX
to insert a movement break when the number of staves changes.  Since
the feature is in PMX, you should be able to access it from M-Tx too.

>From the PMX Reference Card

Li             Force a line break at line i. Voice
                #1 only. Start of block only.
 [Pi]          Force a page break at page i.
 [M]           Movement break. Must follow P
                if present.
   [+i]        Extra        vertical        space,
                \internote.
   [ix]        New indent, decimal fraction of
                line width.
   [c]         Continue bar numbering, do not
                reset.
   [r +,-]     Force or suppress reprinting in-
                strument names.
   [ni]        Change to i instruments.
    d1d2...di  Numbers of instruments. Pre-
                cede 2-digit numbers with :
     c1c2...ck Clef symbols. Enter one for every
                staff in new lineup.

Disclaimer: I've never actually tried this.  So I'd be quite interested
to know if it works.

Dirk