Here's the "pre-bugfix" result of processing the file below (graphic might
not come through for everyone). Note that in addition to Terry's weirdness
in bar 1, the dots within the staff collided with staff lines in the older
version---another bug no one ever pointed out before.

--Don

Behalf Of

>Don Simons

>Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2011 3:10 PM

>To: 'Werner Icking Music Archive'

>Subject: [Tex-music] New beta of PMX (2.614)

>I've just uploaded a bugfix beta version 2.614 of PMX to

>http://www.icking-music-archive.org/software/pmx/pmx2614.zip

>This fixes a bug discovered by Terry Enger. It was quite a remarkable
catch,

>and reminded me of the PMX bugs that Werner was so adept at finding. It

>depended on having all the following conditions: A (1) rest that was (2)

>lowered and (3) dotted, followed by (4) a single note, followed by (5) two

>beamed notes, with (6) all of the above occurring in the same notes group,

>i.e., without any change in horizontal spacing increment \noteskip! I still

>don't understand precisely what was happening, but it was caused by PMX

>putting the rest and dot together in an hbox, when the rest itself was

>already automatically in an hbox. The basic error would be seen in the
first

>bar of the following file, which also shows how the revised algorithm
tweaks

>dot heights depending on whether the dot would hit a staff line.

>I've also included a new pmx.tex, which only differs from the previous one

>in that I've commented out some definitions of dotted rests that are no

>longer needed. But this means if you replace your working version of
pmx.tex

>with the new one, then you won't be able to activate the error by
processing

>the file as normal; you'd have to make the prior pmx.tex the active one.

>Test PMX file for raised, dotted rests:

>====================================+

>1 1 2 4 2 4 0 -3

>1 3 20 .1

>Cello

>./

>r1-4d gd [ dd ed f8 ] /

>m10/4/10/4

>r2 r2-2 r2+2 r2-8 r2+8 /

>m5454

>r4 r4-2 r4+2 r4-8 r4+8 /

>m6262

>rd4-2 rd4-3 rd4-8 rd4-9 rd4+2 rd4+3 rd4+8 rd4+9 /

>m7272

>rdd4-2 rdd4-3 rdd4-8 rdd4-9 rdd4+2 rdd4+3 rdd4+8 rdd4+9 /

>m3232

>rd8-2 rd8-3 rd8-8 rd8-9 rd8+2 rd8+3 rd8+8 rd8+9 /

>m3434

>rd1-2 rd1-3 rd1-8 rd1-9 rd1+2 rd1+3 rd1+8 rd1+9 /

>m3838

>rd3-2 rd3-3 rd3-8 rd3-9 rd3+2 rd3+3 rd3+8 rd3+9 /

>--Don Simons

<<image001.png>>