Bob Tennent <r...@cs.queensu.ca> wrote:

> TeXLive and MikTeX have found the CTAN
> distributions more convenient than the WIMA packages because most
> files are pre-organized in TDS-compliant tree hierarchies.

the fact is, that wima's software directory always seems a shambles, to
mere occasional users such as me.  (tl and miktex admins have no chance
-- at least i have a basic idea of what's what.)

which is why _i_ (as a ctan manager) was so grateful to bob for
supplying up-to-date versions of musixtex stuff for ctan.

_that's_ why tl and miktex use the ctan distribution.

robin