Ah thanks, that seems to have done the trick (a combination of forcing
stem direction, starting height and slope sorted it out). I realise now
that I wasn't reading 'TFM', as I've been following pmxccn.pdf, and
forgot about the extra documentation in the main manual!
(The double bar is there because there are more of these phrases coming
next; it's a series of exercises by Soler showing how to modulate from
any key into E flat major)
thanks,
Edward