Cornelius C. Noack wrote

>This is interesting: I looked in the PMX manual (pmx260.pdf),
>but found no more detailed instructions than the ones Don
>Simons cited for you; and the tutorial pmxccn.pdf contains just
>that, almost literally.

I don't think anyone claimed there were any more detailed instructions in
pmx260. But Cornelius is right in that pmxccn does contain the same
statement I referred to.

As an aside, when looking in pmxccn, I noticed Cornelius' example of a
staff-jumping beam that spanned a bar line, and it made me wonder if the
same mechanism would work in a single staff. In other words, despite the
programmer's laziness, is there a back-door way to get a beam across a bar
line? Turns out the answer is yes (Eureka!):

====================================
1 1 2 4 2 4 0 0
1 1 20 0

.\

g44 [ g1 g g g ]j | [jl g1 g g g ] g4 /

And incidentally, notice that I did have to override the up-downness of the
2nd segment to get the horizontal alignment right. More testing might be
needed to ensure that if there are other ordinary beams hanging around, the
numbering doesn't get messed up.

--Don Simons