I usually follow an old suggestion by Werner Icking (24 may 2000) for a4 paper
in order to obtain a centered page with margins of 1.7 cm. Here is his post to
the list:

<<
e.g. for A4-size paper (210mm x 297mm):

\hsize 210mm\advance\hsize -34mm\hoffset -1in\advance\hoffset 17mm
\vsize 297mm\advance\vsize -34mm\voffset -1in\advance\voffset 17mm

For a test add:

\stafftopmarg 0pt\staffbotmarg 0pt\nopagenumbers\def\atnextline{\vfill}
\startpiece\NOTEs\qa{eeee}\en\alaligne\NOTEs\qa{eeee}\en\endpiece\eject\bye

If you want to have a standard footline omit "\nopagenumbers" and add
"\advance\vsize 24pt" behind the definition of the page.

If you use PMX the solution would be:

w176m \\hoffset -1in\advance\hoffset 17mm\
h263m \\voffset -1in\advance\voffset 17mm\

If you use scor2prt then it may help to code the PMX-comands and the
in-line TeX on seperate lines.

-- Werner

PS: DVI-drivers have a standard margin of 1 inch. Therefore \hoffset -1in
    means a zero margin.
    PPS: Because music needs much space I prefer 10mm margins
    PPPS: For a universal paper format I start with "\hsize 210mm" and
          "\vsize 11in" which makes the output useable as well on A4-size
                paper as on letter-size paper.

Hope this hilft

Luigi Cataldi

Luigi Cataldi <luica...@gmail.com>